Welcome to UK Urbex - Urban Exploration Forums

Welcome to UK Urbex, the urbex forum with added laissez faire

When you've signed up why not introduce yourself in the Say Hello section and if you're really keen and want to find out more you could read the forum FAQs.

This forum does not have any 'secret' areas but we do have a Members Section for some of those more delicate and interesting explores.

Access to this Members forum is based solely on your involvement with the forum. This doesn't mean you have to post X amount of reports, simply joining in with the banter and chit chat and appreciating other folks reports is what makes UK Urbex an enjoyable place to be.

Our forum philosophy is best summed up HERE

The Admin Team
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Birkenhead Dock Branch Line - March 2013

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pickle_w

pickle_w
  • UKx Newbie
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

So the night started out like any other. There I was watching You've Been Framed” when I get a phone call from Xan_Asmodi asking if we where still on for tonight and did I want to do the Birkenhead Dock Branch line. Obviously the answer was a big fat yes! So ten minuets later I had my bag packed and was on the train to meet Xan.

Where nearly suffered some disappointment when we discovered that the normal access rout had been closed, but we managed to find another entrance, so off we went.

A little history from Wiki:

The branch is approximately 4.5 miles (7 km) in length and is accessible by rail from Bidston East junction. The former Mollington Street Depot was joined to the branch line. Part of the branch runs through Haymarket Tunnel and a low-level cutting. The cutting is situated in the centre of Birkenhead, visible from the road flyovers which are in the town centre. The disused Canning Street North signal box and level crossing are also situated on the branch. Level crossings are also situated across Duke Street and Wallasey Bridge Road.

The last known locomotives to have served on this stretch of track were Birkenhead North's allocation of Class 03 shunters, all of which have been preserved.

A future option for this line, as the trackwork is still mainly in place, may be to use it as a heritage railway line which would be beneficial to local trade and tourism. Preserving this line could see the very first heritage standard gauge railway on Merseyside. If the line was to be converted into a heritage railway, there is scope and space for a new depot and exhibition warehouse to be built at either Mollington Street, Cavendish sidings or Bidston Dock. Alternatively, should part of the line ever be recommissioned by Network Rail for passenger use, there is space at the site of the former Mollington Street depot, and the site of Birkenhead Town station, for a mainline station connection, to be built, for possible direct future services to Chester and Crewe. Such a station, at the Mollington Street site, would essentially be Birkenhead Central high-level, as it would be possible to connect the upper and lower levels together, by the use of a concourse.

The former Railtrack has, in the past, indicated an interest in seeing the line reopened for goods services. However, Network Rail as of 2012 has not followed through with any action in this regard.

This place isnt the most exciting explores but it was good for cutting my teeth on, thanks to Xan for showing me the ropes.

This is my first report so take it easy on me :) and i apologise for the quality of the pictures in advance.

10016w.jpg
Spectral Xan

20017w.jpg

30018w.jpg

40019w.jpg
There was allot of pigeon poop

70028w.jpg

50022w.jpg

Unfortunately there wasnt much to photograph apart from pigeon poo and drug paraphernalia.

#2 TCCI

TCCI
  • UKx Member
  • 494 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

You've got some real nice pics there mate.
Don't take life so seriously it's not like your getting out alive.

#3 Boxfrenzy

Boxfrenzy

Day Wrecker

• UKx Admin
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I can tell that it was good to get out and see some stuff. The penultimate shot is cool :)

#4 Top Cat

Top Cat
  • UKx Member
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I like that muchly. Pigeon shit..you can't beat it...

#5 Trousercowboy

Trousercowboy

Morley Consolidation Crew

• UKx Admin
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I like your pics mate...especially your avatar pic :P

I was bangin' 7 gram rocks, that's how I roll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana