Welcome to UK Urbex - Urban Exploration Forums

Welcome to UK Urbex, the urbex forum with added laissez faire

When you've signed up why not introduce yourself in the Say Hello section and if you're really keen and want to find out more you could read the forum FAQs.

This forum does not have any 'secret' areas but we do have a Members Section for some of those more delicate and interesting explores.

Access to this Members forum is based solely on your involvement with the forum. This doesn't mean you have to post X amount of reports, simply joining in with the banter and chit chat and appreciating other folks reports is what makes UK Urbex an enjoyable place to be.

Our forum philosophy is best summed up HERE

The Admin Team
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rover Company Shadow Factory, Kinver, West Midlands August 2013

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Boxfrenzy

Boxfrenzy

Day Wrecker

• UKx Admin
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have wanted to go here longer than any other explorer. That isn't an exaggeration. My earliest memory of the long country lane that these are on is the August of 1976. I was 4. As my family returned from a holiday in Wales, the hillside was ablaze near here. Horrific flames reached high as the trees caught alight as Kinver Edge burned. The smoke engulfed my dads Maxi as we slowly made our way down the lane, driving over the hoses from the fire appliances that had come nearly 40 miles to help fight the fire. It was caused by a discarded glass bottle like many forest fires in the 1970's.  It all added to the mystique of the road. The old barbed wire fences around here. The stories that if you ever were to wander into the compound around Drakelow, men would appear and very politely ask you to leave. I'd seen the yellow B.T vans outside now and again, and the whole place was scary and unknown. 

My mom however knew more. In fact she had researched this place in 1962 as part of her college final year project. She knew about the Rover company and the blasting they had done of the soft sandstone rock and the machines that they installed to build the tank parts for the war effort. In fact, lets look at my mom's research, written in 1962. The photo of the Drakelow tunnels is from the Rover archive. You, dear reader are the first people to see this on the internet; it isn't available anywhere else yet.

9569684957_5e60c2c394_c.jpg

9572479762_5621259670_c.jpg

Sorry about her handwriting. Did you see the structures above the tunnel entrance? The buildings were knocked down to avoid detection by the Germans, however the holes in the rock remain. They are rock houses. Here they are.

9572174796_4b7c8327de_c.jpg

Drakelow Rock Houses, near Kinver, West Midlands, were inhabited during the 18th, 19th and early 20th century. They were carved out of the sandstone rock and glazed and had doors. They were warm in winter and cool in the summer.

9569408091_87dda9464e_c.jpg

Underneath were the tunnels, not carved, but blasted out. Three people lost their lives I think during this. They were blasted out to be used for a Shadow Factory. Here is one of the entrances. These used to frighten me. It is hard to imagine the cars racing here as the sirens sounded their four minute warning that a Russian Warhead was on it's way to destroy the world. The great and good would have entered here, and made their way in through the blast doors. Three months of time underground would have awaited them.

9569468561_95762e9d75_c.jpg

Anyone caught in the blast would have arrived and been decontaminated. Clothing would have been burnt in here.

9569480881_78e1da1fa3_c.jpg

They would have showered before making their way in.

9572278276_44899e6936_c.jpg

Small corridors come off the main avenues through here. Medical bays, offices and other rooms would have been off these.

9569517595_0469744af5_c.jpg

The air conditioning doesn't work in here at the moment. The whole place is a cool and damp environment. Wood is rotting and white pain peels off sandstone. In one of the main avenues a stopped clock remains.

9572296490_7bb3cc72ba_c.jpg

The Regional Seat of Goverment, only used part of the tunnels. The older part was used by the Rover and remains empty, save for huge echoing caverns.

9569587175_7084fe9cbf_c.jpg

The rusting remains of a cold war kitchen.

9572365460_de7272d521_c.jpg

The damp gets into everything, slowly rotting the communications room.

9569531653_0d82b8533a_c.jpg

Like any ninja explorer, I visited here with my mom and dad and my kids. They had their own torch, courtesy of my exploring bag.

9569538483_84bfd516b5_c.jpg

These were for important diplomats to update their Facebook status during a nuclear war to all of their friends who were dealing with limbs falling off etc.

9569594453_2ff0f4ecc3_c.jpg

Junior explorers really struggled with the concept of standing still during long exposure photography. Are these the smallest visitors to Drakelow? Probably not, but that is what I told them!

9572293212_1547f5e0d2_c.jpg

Jumbo thanks to Derelict UK (who gave us a personal tour) if you happen to read this. Sorry if I got the facts wrong. Far too busy taking photographs and not enough listening.

#2 Blober

Blober
  • UKx Member
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

This is a tip top place, absolutely fantastic. Really hope they can stop the proposed housing development.
Excellent photos!

#3 Trousercowboy

Trousercowboy

Morley Consolidation Crew

• UKx Admin
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Word to you Mother :thumbsup: I like how the soggy table looks like it's absorbing the phone and the thing that looks like a mini mixing desk

I was bangin' 7 gram rocks, that's how I roll

#4 Boxfrenzy

Boxfrenzy

Day Wrecker

• UKx Admin
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have recently found out that this place has got some good planning permission to turn it into a museum. Good news all round.

#5 Wherever I may Roam

Wherever I may Roam
  • UKx Member
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationLIVERPOOL

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I really like the look of this place,v.nice.... ;)

"Its a hobby,not a way of life"

WIMR1

#6 Derelict-UK

Derelict-UK
  • UKx Newbie
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Finally been validated to post!!

It was good to show you and your family  around, that bit at the top or your report is something we would like to have as personal accounts of the bunker, maybe we will have a guest book in the museum that you could write it down in?

The bit about the swiss village is incorrect, they didn't knock it down to prevent ze Germans from seeing it, they were standing right up until the late 80's when the MOD pulled them down due to disrepair.

Great pictures, not sure if you need a better torch, but if you do, get yourself onto www.dx.com and look at anything with an XML-T6 emitter. Note though that delivery can take around 3 weeks.

This is a tip top place, absolutely fantastic. Really hope they can stop the proposed housing development.
Excellent photos!

The housing development of 3 Semi-Detached houses are to fund the museum, we want to build them. We are not looking for Governemnt/Lottory funding as we feel funding could be better spent on other charities when we have enough money to get the houses built but the profit on selling them would fund getting everything is built/restored. We have also yet to be granted the planning permission, so the more support, the better :)

Damp is a massive problem in Drakelow, that BBC room with the drooping desk was almost perfect in 2010 but some mindless criminals broke in and cut the mains so ever since we have been running off the generators meaning that we can't have a constant airflow keeping things dry.

If you get a chance please visit our facebook page for more info on the planning application and don't forget to like it!

http://facebook.com/SaveDrakelow

Derelict-UK :)

Edited by Derelict-UK, 26 August 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#7 Mex

Mex

Feriens tego

• UKx Admin
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationCaspian Border

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Awesome stuff mate, I really really want to see this place.

Posted Image

<br />

If you don't believe in something then you'll fall for anything

#8 Blober

Blober
  • UKx Member
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

The housing development of 3 Semi-Detached houses are to fund the museum, we want to build them. We are not looking for Governemnt/Lottory funding as we feel funding could be better spent on other charities when we have enough money to get the houses built but the profit on selling them would fund getting everything is built/restored. We have also yet to be granted the planning permission, so the more support, the better :)

Oh I see I got the wrong end of the stick, thought awhile back they wanted to sell the site and bulldoze/fill in the bunker and put a housing estate on top!

I dont mind a few housing being built on excess land for funding!

#9 Derelict-UK

Derelict-UK
  • UKx Newbie
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

They did that with the Longbridge Shadow Factory.

#10 Boxfrenzy

Boxfrenzy

Day Wrecker

• UKx Admin
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Nice one mate. I knew I should have been listening properly! Good luck with the campaign to get planning permission. I've liked the page and will comment on the application. If you need any local village knowledge then do let me know. :)

#11 Derelict-UK

Derelict-UK
  • UKx Newbie
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

If you have any local friends (or your mum & dad) who could leave comments on the council page too, obviously if they are okay with the development, then that is like gold dust to us.

:)

#12 Trousercowboy

Trousercowboy

Morley Consolidation Crew

• UKx Admin
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Your torch is shit Rich :noexpression:

I was bangin' 7 gram rocks, that's how I roll

#13 Snapt

Snapt
  • UKx Member
  • 146 posts
  • LocationWorksop

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

We need FB style "like" clicky things for each photo. Love the photo with the clock in it and the Apple I-Macs.

#14 jimmy MHE

jimmy MHE
  • UKx Member
  • 277 posts
  • LocationChadderton, Oldham

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

looks fascinating sir

#15 Boxfrenzy

Boxfrenzy

Day Wrecker

• UKx Admin
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

Jumbo thanks y'all. I'll send my dad an email and get him on the case - I'm sure he'll be very interested, and I'll get him to spread the word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: