Sign in to follow this  
Monk

Graylingwell Asylum Chichester 07

a great asylum but what a balls ache to get in, used to involve climbing walls over roofs dropping through skylights and climbing down ropes, the hassle of access kept the chavs and pikeys out which made it for a rare explore of a untouched asylum. 

Best part of this was without a doubt the main hall and projection rooms which were pretty much as they should be. 

A few pics as i lost most of my old ones of the place, dont think i ever got round to posting these ones as it was. 

Construction of the asylum began in 1894 and was completed in 1897. The asylum was built of soft red brick with reconstituted stonework ornamentation roofed with slate in a classical Queen Anne style.[2] Lodges and other outbuildings differed in their use of rendered upper storeys and the chapel was built in local flint and reconstituted stone with a red clay tiled roof.[3]

The buildings followed the compact arrow design with wards and corridors radiating from a central service area containing offices, kitchens, a large hall, laundry, stores, water tower and a central power and heating plant.[4] As was standard practice at the time, the asylum employed strict segregation of the sexes, with females confined to the east side of the site and males to the west. The hospital's extensive landscaped grounds also contained an isolation hospital, a chapel and several residences for staff.[5]

The hospital was almost entirely self-sufficient until the end of the 1950s, with 60-acre market gardens and two farms (Graylingwell and St. Martin's). These were worked by able-bodied patients in return for tokens which could be redeemed against purchases in the hospital shop. The farm estate and stock were auctioned off on 25 March 1957 at which time there were 100 head of dairy shorthorns, pigs, sheep and poultry.[6]

As a relief from the demanding manual labour required of physically able inmates, patients were allowed a wide range of social and leisure activities including sports, dances and fetes. The Main Hall provided a focus for these activities, having a proscenium stage, orchestra pit and two Gaumont-Kazee cinema projectors with Rank audio visual rectifiers.

a great asylum but what a balls ache to get in, used to involve climbing walls over roofs dropping through skylights and climbing down ropes, the hassle of access kept the chavs and pikeys out which made it for a rare explore of a untouched asylum. 

Best part of this was without a doubt the main hall and projection rooms which were pretty much as they should be. 

A few pics as i lost most of my old ones of the place, dont think i ever got round to posting these ones as it was. 

graylingwell028.jpg

graylingwell034.jpg

graylingwell003.jpg

graylingwell011.jpg

graylingwell041.jpg

graylingwell006.jpg

graylingwell015.jpg

graylingwell017.jpg

graylingwell050.jpg

Edited by Monk

I remember when this used to be one of the tight asylums along with Fairmile and Lancaster Moor. Graylingwell had most of the doors locked, Fairmile had a maze of PIR's, and Lancaster Moor had the ground floor PIR'd.

I remember when this used to be one of the tight asylums along with Fairmile and Lancaster Moor. Graylingwell had most of the doors locked, Fairmile had a maze of PIR's, and Lancaster Moor had the ground floor PIR'd.

We hit all three on the Grand Asylum Road Trip 2008! 

Fairmile was hilarious fun. The talking PIRs made it a blast. Set them off ..... run to the roof and hide, wait till all calmed down then do all the upstairs before stting them off on the way out again. 

The Moor - well........ we all know my escapades there - loved it!

Graylingwell - pain in the ass! So damn tight. Still my impromptu tour of the tower was fun ;)

Fairmile was hilarious fun. The talking PIRs made it a blast. Set them off ..... run to the roof and hide, wait till all calmed down then do all the upstairs before stting them off on the way out again. 

I do remember that pane of glass smashing!