Angels05Astra

St Crispin's Hospital May 2017

Lets start with some history about this place.....

St Crispins was a large psychiatric hospital on the outskirts of Duston village in NorthamptonNorthamptonshireEngland.

It was established in 1876 as the Berrywood Asylum and closed in 1995.

In the architect's typical style already used at Macclesfield and to some extent, Hereford asylums, red brick was used extensively as principal construction material, with white or blue brick for decorative dressing, banding or window arches. Windows were of timber, multiple paned sash type and decorative wrought iron balustrading was applied to embellish the tops of canted bay windows and slate roofs. The most distinctive feature of the site was the water tower, visible for a considerable distance and decorated with a clock on each face. This stood in the centre of the main asylum, looming over the recreation hall to the south and administration block to the north and although not attached directly to either, formed a major part of the composition of both.

St Crispin Hospital briefly entered the news when a fire killed a six patients who were resident on Schuster Ward, within the main building.

Sectorisation and then reprovision led to the relocation of services away from the St Crispin site, with separate services being developed at Kettering and Milton Keynes, as well as elsewhere within Northampton itself.

During the early 1990s at the outbreak of the First Gulf War, several closed wards were upgraded ready to admit any injured members of the armed forces should the need arise but this was never required. The hospital gradually contracted as wards became disused, eventually leaving those located within the Pendered Centre and the main building was closed in 1995.

Its chapel was decorated by the Northampton artist Henry Bird. Following the Hospital's closure the Chapel was purchased by the Greek Orthodox Church and is now in regular use by the Greek Orthodox Community in Northampton.

St Crispin HospitalSt Crispin Hospital (8)St Crispin Hospital (2)

St Crispin Hospital (9)

St Crispin Hospital (13)

St Crispin Hospital (16)

St Crispin Hospital (20)

St Crispin Hospital (23)

St Crispin Hospital (24)

St Crispin Hospital (26)

St Crispin Hospital (27)

St Crispin Hospital (29)

St Crispin Hospital (30)

St Crispin Hospital (31)

St Crispin Hospital (32)

St Crispin Hospital (36)

St Crispin Hospital (39)

St Crispin Hospital (42)

St Crispin Hospital (44)

St Crispin Hospital (45)

St Crispin Hospital (46)

St Crispin Hospital (47)

St Crispin Hospital (48)

St Crispin Hospital (50)

St Crispin Hospital (52)

St Crispin Hospital (53)

St Crispin Hospital (54)

St Crispin Hospital (57)

St Crispin Hospital (58)

St Crispin Hospital (59)

St Crispin Hospital (60)

St Crispin Hospital (62)

St Crispin Hospital (63)

St Crispin Hospital (67)

St Crispin Hospital (69)

St Crispin Hospital (72)

St Crispin Hospital (74)

St Crispin Hospital (76)

As for our day there is was fantastic really enjoyed this one but does look as if it is about to be demolished which is a shame.

Pictures were taken with a Nikon coolpix a100.

Edited by Angels05Astra
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant

I've played around with the font, I couldn't read it before, hopefully this is better for folks.

If you could date your report, month and year.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr, you have re-edited, are you using Word or similar ? I put my reports together on Blogger, then cut and paste the full report onto the forum. Word can screw around your settings etc. 

Looks like a cracking little mooch, an excellent first report

27 minutes ago, fragglehunter said:

I've played around with the font, I couldn't read it before, hopefully this is better for folks.

If you could date your report, month and year.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr, you have re-edited, are you using Word or similar ? I put my reports together on Blogger, then cut and paste the full report onto the forum. Word can screw around your settings etc. 

Looks like a cracking little mooch, an excellent first report

I did edit it to get the pictures on opps. I will use blooger to do reports then. i was using whatever this silly computer had on it lol sorry. you can play around with it again if you like. i have just put month and year on it. 

Thank you so much.

What a cracking place although it's a bit fooked now it must have been quite some place in it's time.

Excellent first report and good pics

many more to follow I hope

Happy mooching and welcome to this strange world with these strange people.

:sman:

You get a spidey emoji for that.

I was starting to post pics for you, but you managed that on your second attempt, which for most is the hardest bit. Couple of reports and you will have the hang of it. So share your mooches, I can see you have done a few little crackers

Tbolt, giving away a Spidey emoji, he must be impressed