waveydave

Extwistle Hall, July 2017

(please note name is unchanged as there's nowt left to trash or steal)

Nice weather out, a tank full of diesel and a pair of restless feet.. Any one of these is reason enough to go for an explore. So off we went, not knowing where the hell I could park without standing out like Ronald McDonald in a convent, and not even knowing if this place still existed. Needless to say, on arrival, the usual words , “fuck it, it’ll be ok here” were said and off I went leaving my other ‘alf in the car after she decided she didn’t fancy the 1/3 of a mile walk down the lane. Down the lane I was relieved to see the shape of Extwistle hall appear over the horizon. Not so relieved however, to see how close the neighboring farm was, especially as the farmers tractor was parked outside. In my mind I became a ninja in slippers, sticking to the shadows and hedgerows until I could hop over the poorest excuse for a fence I’ve ever seen. Disappearing out of sight behind the hall I soon found a way in, or several actually.

Extwistle Hall stands high on Extwistle Moor between Haggate (east of Brierfield) and the village of Worsthorne. The Hall, built of coursed sandstone on three sides of a courtyard, is now a ruin. It was built in the 16C in a Tudor style by the Parker family who were prominent in local affairs.
Robert Parker had bought the land, which had previously belonged to Kirkstall Abbey, in 1537 after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Parker family occupied it for some 200 years before moving to Cuerden Hall around 1718. John Parker was High Sheriff of Lancashire for 1653 and Robert Parker for 1710. The house was remodelled in the late 18th century. Extwistle Hall was, first and foremost, designed as a place in which to live. The family who lived there might have regarded it as a Manor House, with Manorial functions, but its primary object, when built, was to provide a home.

The Hall remained the home of the Parkers of Extwistle from the 16th Century to the early 18th Century when a fire at the hall, in which the head of the family was killed, resulted in the Parkers leaving Extwistle for the Cuerdale and Chorley area. They still retained ownership of the estates of both the Parkers, in Extwistle, and the Townleys, in Briercliffe, and it was not until the 1920s that the estate was sold off, by which time the Townley Parkers had died out in the male time, themselves, and the estate had passed to the Tattons of Wythenshawe.

The Hall has not been lived in by a Parker since c1718 but the agent for the Townley Parker estate resided there, briefly, until the building became a farm house for a large hill farm. During this period it seems many tenement farmers lived in the house but it is unclear exactly how many people resided here at any one time and it appears that the property was divided up in to about 7 smaller dwellings and according to various census records 9 families lived here with a total of 50 people.
The listed Grade II building, now owned by an Isle of Man-based property company, it has been unoccupied for more than twenty years and is listed in English Heritage's Heritage at Risk Register. In January 2012, £2million plans were revealed to save and restore the hall to its former glory, then afterwards to be sold off.
i also found this online:-
"Now in ruins, this ancient house is situated above Swinden Reservoir. It dates from the late 1500s and was once home to the Parker family. Captain Robert Parker lived here with his family in the 17th century and he features in a piece of folklore which tells how he met a fairy funeral one night, on his way home from a Jacobite meeting. To his horror, he saw that the brass plate on the coffin bore his own name. Knowing that this foretold his own death, he took the warning to mean that his end would come because of his involvement with the Jacobites, so he swore from that moment that he would never to attend another meeting or support them in any way.
As weeks passed, Parker may have come to feel he had been spared the fate of those who had seen fairy funerals in the past. But fate would not be diverted so easily. Perhaps if he had continued to be vigilant, he would not have gone shooting in heavy rain and put his wet coat near the fire to dry. As his children helped him to strip off the rest of his wet clothes, a powder flask in the pocket of the wet coat exploded in the heat of the fire – and the explosion killed him and badly injured two of his daughters"
 If someone is going to restore this place they need to get on with it, after 20 years of abandonement it is on the verge of becoming a pile of rubble. As it is, the floors have collapsed and parts of the roof have gone, even the walls are starting to show some quite considerable cracks. Once again, like so many other manor houses/ halls it seems it is to be left until it crumbles and at an asking price of £500,000 just 2 years ago i cant see it changing hands either.
All in all i did like this place, it has some awesome original features. i just wish i could have looked in the associated farm buildings but these were just a bit too chancey...another time pehaps.......

34927943644_5ae7c8a5b4_z.jpgDSCF5581 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35727953036_28531369e4_z.jpgDSCF5582 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34927935564_cfd827557e_z.jpgDSCF5583 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35380914880_857dfaf2ee_z.jpgDSCF5595 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34927871014_32660f1ce8_z.jpgDSCF5615 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34927867784_f75a7fda6f_z.jpgDSCF5616 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35380935200_4537f6f9dc_z.jpgDSCF5588 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35380932410_45e0765767_z.jpgDSCF5590 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35599087662_8d877b5d5d_z.jpgDSCF5592 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35769160585_b436591c96_z.jpgDSCF5594 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34958906063_4700c47b3f_z.jpgDSCF5600 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35380869740_479cfbe777_z.jpgDSCF5604 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35380865000_c2ed6e08a4_z.jpgDSCF5606 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

35769125415_73317858f7_z.jpgDSCF5607 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34927864204_de24f5b90d_z.jpgDSCF5619 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

34927945264_2a102cc80b_z.jpgDSCF5628 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

All in all a nice little mooch...

Thanks for looking..

4 hours ago, WJK said:

top marks,, im plannin on a quick mooch this weekend , did you park up at the farm road or sneak over the field somehow,, top pics :)

i parked at the entrance to the farm road nr the house on the bend, then walked down farm road. my other half stayed in car. Im always in a quandary about where to leave the car without arising suspicion and keeping it safe too

yeh well thing is im in a big van and noticed on google earth theres literally no parking for a few miles,, i think ill have to get a proper walk on here and do  a sunrise mission , i got told that you can just pull up right outside but i dont wanna piss the farmer off or anything like that plus im someone who would get my van stuck as well knowin me