exploreswithkurt

George Barnsley and sons

so this is a place I've wanted to visit for a few years and a few weeks ago i got to see the place with hell on earth and tracy explores sadly the place has gone down hill fast with floors that have collapsed and items have gone missing a very photogenic place and a very chilled out explore managed to spent around 3 hours here very different type of explore and manage to get some nice photos and footage below will be some brief history my video and photos on the place

George Barnsley and Sons Ltd. (founded 1836) were in Cornish Place on the Don and specialized in forged filing and cutting tools for leather workers and shoe makers.  One George Barnsley was Master Cutler in 1883.

George Barnsley and Son is listed in the 1837 Sheffield Directory as a file manufacture situated on Wheeldon Street.  The 1849 listing records a move to Cornhill and the 1852 to Cornesh works, Cornesh street.  They had by this time also increased there product range to include steel files, shoe and butchers knives.

They are again listed in 1944 as manufactures of files and blades, shoe knives and leather workers tools.

In the 1948 listing the business had become George Barnsley and Son Ltd.

George Barnsley died at his home at No 30 Collegiate Crescent on 30th March 1958.  He lived there with his wife Mabel and mother-in-law Elizabeth.  He was a partner in the firm which manufactured steel and files.  The business was converted into a limited company about 10 years before his death.  He had a long army career, joining up in 1896 and serving in the Boer war and two world wars.  Colonel Barnsley played a leading part in the development of the Army Cadet Force in Sheffield.  He died at the age of 83.

footage and pictures 

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

George Barnsley and sons

let me info if the writing is there peeps

Good morning Sir, good write up and the place looks like a great explore, but sadly I am some what put off by the number of people you take with you. There are some fantastic explore vids on this site, might be worth having a look at them. you come across well,  you don't need all the extra people. WB.

6 hours ago, War buildings said:

Good morning Sir, good write up and the place looks like a great explore, but sadly I am some what put off by the number of people you take with you. There are some fantastic explore vids on this site, might be worth having a look at them. you come across well,  you don't need all the extra people. WB.

hi mate thanks for the nice comments but it was the boys that got me in the place i normally only go with 2-3 other people