Snapt

Cluster Bombs

Well, it's been a month or so since I did a report. To be honest i'm just too bone idle at times :lol:. A few weeks back myself, messrs Fragglehunter and Tbolt set off for the flat lands of Lincolnshire, a county packed full of ex RAF bases. It was a strange days explore, absolutely nothing weird happened. I think it's the first time us 3 have been out and not encountered strange folk or weird events. To be fair our Wales trip did fill the years quota of weirdness, I've only just stopped seeing the psychiatrist and using the mind bleach. Anyway on with the history bit, rather than going to the effort of writing up my own I've just blatantly stolen someone else's, it's much easier and requires very little effort, win win really if you're lazy.:lol:

Built around 1955 as a Remote Weapons Store for RAF Wittering after the airfield changed use over several years from a Fighter Station to a Bomber Command Station, now decommissioned and awaiting ‘Adaptive Reuse’. Various roadways open up and 10 Bomb Maintenance Buildings are located towards the front of the site, the revetted buildings reportedly for 1000lb High Explosive bombs and Cluster Bomb Units.

Behind this and deep into the compound are rows and rows of explosive storage units: Thirty ‘Dutch Barns’ (some demolished) for storage of BL755 Cluster Bombs (manufactured by Hunting Engineering in Ampthill, Bedfordshire), several more 1000lb HE storage buildings, 68mm SNEB Rocket storage buildings and perhaps the most interesting, nine hardened ‘Igloo’ cells with filtered air supply and totally enclosed electrical supplies. These hardened units were used for storing ‘unspecified’ American explosives from RAF Lakenheath.

35418719451_3c5e5d181d_b.jpgAmmo Site by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35418719421_8ca0bc8e1f_b.jpgStorage by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

34820079393_f57f40565f_b.jpgEx Mod Stores by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35242844860_07a7aa8874_b.jpgUrban Landscape by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35590638276_6d4112e39c_b.jpgBomb Storage by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35419383940_fb62d18aec_b.jpgBurning Sunset by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35419383960_e6b38521fd_b.jpgMOD Base by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35419384000_f342cc7122_b.jpgBomb Hut by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35894658425_6c6e643881_b.jpgESA Collyweston by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35763443201_92c0286b83_b.jpgRAF Storage by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

35506931330_b4707d62d7_b.jpgNightfall by Richard Ashton, on Flickr

Stonking pics Matie and an excellent bit of history too.

I didn't see a shrink myself I just turned into a raving alcoholic to try and blot out the oddness of it all but the dreams of drowning in lakes of hot tea and dog sex won't leave me alone!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Stonking pics Matie and an excellent bit of history too.

I didn't see a shrink myself I just turned into a raving alcoholic to try and blot out the oddness of it all but the dreams of drowning in lakes of hot tea and dog sex won't leave me alone!!!!!

Same here I'm scarred for life:lol:. I wake up in cold sweats shaking and I now have a phobia about small terriers:gaah:

Wow...I don't know how you managed to get all those skies out of one trip, but you have some storming pics there. 

I had to find another appropriate describey word 'cos Bolty already used stonking, and that is my favourite wow word. Storming doesn't sit quite so nicely. I need to get in first next time :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, evilnoodle said:

Wow...I don't know how you managed to get all those skies out of one trip, but you have some storming pics there. 

I had to find another appropriate describey word 'cos Bolty already used stonking, and that is my favourite wow word. Storming doesn't sit quite so nicely. I need to get in first next time :thumbsup:

Stonking reply noodley 

10 hours ago, evilnoodle said:

Cheers mate, must say it was two trips, second one was an hour or so before sunset, had to be done. Weirdly the first trip hammered down with rain then brightened up considerably making for different skies:D, thanks everyone for fab comments.