waveydave

Llanberis reserve boom stores October 2016

This was another of those places that i just had to visit. I think we've all had places like this, you see one photo and immediately it rouses a level of excitement that would get you into bother in the company of anyone other than ya missus/mister (delete as applicable).
 So we hit the road and head for wales, not caring that the weather was a bit poo. we're used to that, its always a bit poo in rochdale. Fast forward a couple of hours and a pitstop later we arrive at our alloted parking spot and just as we do so we meet another couple of explorers just leaving. They gave us some spot on directions for the easiest (and safest access). Nearing the site its still invisible but as you near the access point the 'LLanberis reserve bomb store ',reveals itself. And, for me, it didnt dissappoint. scrambling down the shale slope it soon becomes apparent that there is a rather fantastic echo, something akin to Willington cooling towers. 
 Once a series of slate quarries these redundant holes were the ideal site to store bombs during ww2. the walls were lined with concrete and a second floor was added with a lift to move munitions up and down. These floors were divided into tunnels and each tunnel was topped off by a concrete arch. The whole structure was then buried under 40ft of shale debris. ....
But, as construction was taking too long ,the pressure was on, and corners were cut. After just six months two thirds of the entire structure collapsed under the weight of stone, burying a train and tonnes  of munitions, said to be 14% of the RAFs bomb reserves. It took 2 years to clear the area of concrete and munitions, after which time that particular type of munition was obsolete , and so all that was stored here afterwards was more obsolete ammo. For many years after the war it was used as a dump with tonnnes of bombs literally being tipped into the quarry and lake behind the stores. 
With terrorism becoming  a bigger threat, and after possible IRA connections were seen looking for explosives it was decided to clear the site properly. This took six years and involved draining the lake and bringing in expert climbers to check every ledge, nook and cranny for explosives. They even built a road network around the quarry tops to give easier access for trucks, which are probably the same roads we walked in on. 
Anyway, back to the sploor. After having a mooch down the narrow gauge rail tunnel and the main entrance tunnel we come out of the dark to find it raining, lots. In fact it was too bloody wet for fish let alone explorers. This is when we discover the previous explorers hadnt been entirely honest as the store tunnels were totally sealed, even though they claimed that the doors were open. bugger. So without further ado we make tracks for the car, my camera is stuffed up my jumper at this point although my jumper, jacket, jeans, socks, the lot was drenched and by the time we reached the motor it felt more like id swam there. Wales eh. After drying the camera and changing into some dry jeans we head for home deciding that Rochdales poo weather wasnt a patch on the poo weather in Wales.....
First sighting...
33946056020_4c1cc2bafe_z.jpgDSCF3440 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

above the vaulted roof you can see the depth of shale added as protection. It was, in fact reduced in depth to 20foot after the collapse so i imagine it would have been level with the surface and completely invisible from the air
34329944465_4d128c2660_z.jpgDSCF3443 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

The end of the narrow gauge rail tunnel, originally leading to the lake, it looks like someone put alot of effort into opening up this wall but i never saw this til i looked at the pics, 
34329939395_701bd7e152_z.jpgDSCF3448 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

The main entrance with the rail way, This is where the train would have been buryed
34171740692_e62b7a1844_z.jpgDSCF3454 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

this was as near as we got to seeing inside, a crafty peek through the little window
33946007690_87589ba7b2_z.jpgDSCF3462 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

and the rain came down...
34171775452_6619dfeeda_z.jpgDSCF3470 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

As the rain came down even heavier, i take a parting shot
33946058400_d0f223d353_z.jpgDSCF3471 by Tazz & Moomoo, on Flickr

I've been many places with much more to see but i really liked it here. I dont know if its the history or the the uniqueness of the site that appeals, and looking back at the pics now still makes me wanna revisit. But with Baron Hill just down the road it may just have to wait a while. 
Thanks for putting up with me and for dropping by

I like the look of this place too, always gave me the urge to go and see it but then getting pushed to the back of my mind. Wales does have it's own eco system, myself and TBolt went with the promise of warmth, only to be met with rain and then a blizzard! Must pop it on the to do list.