HomoSovieticus

[Chernobyl] Power Plant Control Room

I bet you'll hate me for spamming the forum but after few PMs I got about the subject I'm happy to share some more stuff from the zone with you. 

Today (if you have a time machine and live in 2016) we're vising the actual Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station, more specifically the control room and turbine hall of the reactor block no. 2. There were 4 reactors in total located in two buildings - 1&2 and 3&4 sharing the walls. We all know what happened to the reactor no. 4, no. 3 is sometimes accessible but at the time of this visit the New Safe  Confinement was ready to be moved and due to some preparation work needed I've seen the block 2. Interestingly this building also suffered from a fire in in 1991 but no casualties or serious danger occurred. All blocks all pretty much identical apart from a granite plaque on the wall dividing 3 and 4 commemorating the victims. 

As you can see I got lucky to get there pretty close to the reactor block itself and the New Safe Confinement. Like everything in Ukraine - can be done if you drink with the right people or go with people who drink with the right people. ;-)

Oh, and do not, and I repeat - DO NOT mess with the buttons or an angry man will stare at you. A lot.

Chernobyl-Nuclear-Power-Plant-Control-Ro

High-tech construction eqipment

Radiation level higher than normal but nothing to be worried about, you'll see about the same on a typical flight cruising altitude.

The NSC is massive, 92m (300ft) high and designed to confine the old sarcophagus. There are cranes under the roof to be used for dismantling the old structure and some clever air circulation system to prevent it from corroding. 

Goddamit I told you not to mess with the buttons

Look what you've done...

Manual Reactor Power Adjustment Tool

The turbine hall:

And the statue of Prometheus who who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to mankind. Moved here from outside of the Prometheus Cinema in Pripyat after the accident:

Wow......excellent set of pics. 

Lots of words too. Good words. I prefer to read words rather than listen to people yapping on a video, and you do the words rather well - interesting....informative....and funny too. 

Well done that man :thumbsup: