Jump to content
porky pig

MAYFIELD RAILWAY STATION (permission visit)

Recommended Posts

THE HISTORY:- 

Opened on 8 August 1910 by the London and North Western Railway, Manchester Mayfield was built alongside Manchester London Road station (later Piccadilly) to handle the increased number of trains and passengers following the opening of the Styal Line in 1909. The LNWR had considered constructing a new platform at London Road between the MSJAR's Platforms 1 and 2, which were renumbered 1 and 3 in anticipation, but this was abandoned in favour of the construction of Mayfield; the platforms nevertheless remained renumbered. Four platforms were provided and passengers could reach London Road via a high-level footbridge. Mayfield suffered the effects of bombing during World War II, when it was hit by a parachute mine on 22 December 1940.

Mayfield was a relief station mainly used by extra trains and suburban services to the south of Manchester. For example, in the 1957-58 London Midland Region timetable there were trains to Cheadle Hulme, Buxton, Alderley Edge, Chelford and Stockport on weekdays. In the London Midland timetable of September 1951, the Pines Express from Bournemouth West is shown as arriving at Mayfield at 4.30pm (16.30) on Mondays to Fridays. On Saturdays this train used Piccadilly station, then known as London Road. In the 1957-8 timetable, the Pines Express still arrived at Mayfield on Mondays to Fridays, now at the time of 4.45pm (16.45).

It came into its own for a brief period during the electrification and modernisation of what was to become Piccadilly Station in the late 1950s, when many services were diverted to it. It was closed to passengers on 28 August 1960.

The site was converted into a parcels depot which opened on 6 July 1970. Royal Mail constructed a sorting office on the opposite side of the main line and connected it to Mayfield with an overhead conveyor bridge which crossed the throat of Piccadilly Station. The depot closed in 1986 following the decision by Parcelforce, Royal Mail's parcels division, to abandon rail transport in favour of road haulage. The building has remained disused ever since, with the tracks into Mayfield removed in 1989 as part of the remodelling of the Piccadilly Station layout. The sorting office was briefly reused as an indoor karting track, but has now been rebuilt as the Square One development, prestige offices used by Network Rail; the parcel conveyor bridge was removed in 2003.

The site is currently the property of London and Continental Railways. The interior of the station was used in Prime Suspect as a drug dealer's haunt. It was also used as a double for Sheffield railway station in The Last Train. The roadside building was gutted by a fire in 2005.

THE VISIT:- This was a permission tour. a great chance to visit the station without fear of death!

DSC_0243_DxO

 

 

 

DSC_0238_DxO

 

DSC_0175_DxO

 

DSC_0179_DxO

 

DSC_0181_DxO

reflections....

DSC_0182_DxO

 

DSC_0183_DxO

 

DSC_0184_DxO

 

DSC_0186_DxO

 

DSC_0194_DxO

 

DSC_0197_DxO

recently used the station yard as a food festival.

DSC_0202_DxO

under the platforms two massive spaces.

DSC_0203_DxO

 

DSC_0209_DxO

 

DSC_0213_DxO

 

DSC_0215_DxO

 

DSC_0220_DxO

 

DSC_0224_DxO

 

DSC_0228_DxO

loading ramp to the platforms

DSC_0241_DxO

come and play poster!!!

DSC_0167_DxO

bit of graff in next street.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×