Guest The Stig

Whats Your Camera

What do I upgrade to, with my current lenses, from the D80?? I'll have a Nikon full-frame one day, but not just yet. Advice anyone? Oh...and it needs to be able to, somehow, deal with crap on the sensor :-0

I recently got a Sony RXII, not really for exploring but for more general use. Why?  Well it's pretty small, fits in my jeans pocket (or cords if I'm wearing them), but has a big sensor (for it's compact size at least) and can be used in full Manual mode. This means it's very versatile and because it's small i can actually be arsed to take it out with me rather than lug my DSLR and lens around, so i will use it more and take more photos,which is something I enjoy. I tried it out on an explore last week and it was pretty good, though not as good as my 'proper' camera (an old Sony A350).

What do I upgrade to, with my current lenses, from the D80?? I'll have a Nikon full-frame one day, but not just yet. Advice anyone? Oh...and it needs to be able to, somehow, deal with crap on the sensor :-0

As said in another post what do you want from the camera what's your budget. You could go for a D3200 or the newer D3300 great "entry level" DSLRs if your budget allows you could go for the D5200 or if you got £1000 to spend want the top of the range DX Nikon get the D7100 (one I'm thinking about changing to from the D3200)... All are very good camera each offering their own good features

Have a look at snapsort.com to compare the cameras and make your mind up from there

I use a canon powershot g2, not as up market as what most of you guys use but has many of the same features. I spend lot of time in adits and culverts so couldn't justify spending all that money on a top of the range camera and dragging it through sludge and crap, and the g2 lets me light paint so i'm happy.

Edited by urban caveman

Has been canon 450D with a sigma 10-20mm for since about 2008. Just upgraded to a  Canon 6D with the 24-105mm and 16-30mm L series lenses. Cameras are only tool regardless,you can get good shots from cheap cameras and crap shots from expensive. Its not all about the equipment just as important to learn how to used it.Having a reteaching session now :lol:

On 10/11/2014 at 00:54, urban caveman said:

I use a canon powershot g2, not as up market as what most of you guys use but has many of the same features. I spend lot of time in adits and culverts so couldn't justify spending all that money on a top of the range camera and dragging it through sludge and crap, and the g2 lets me light paint so i'm happy.

The canon G2 was my 1st entry into the world of digital photography. Excellent bridge camera. I think I paid about £620 with a 64MB card back in the early 00s. Then I got my first DSLR the canon 20D. I was able to use the same batteries as the G2.  Then upgraded to a 5D Mark II when they came out late 2008 and now I have a Mark III. 

I have a Nikon D7000 and a D610, My favourite lens in my 24-70 f2.8 but worry too much taking it urbexing as its my wedding lens, I  also have a Sigma 10-20 which works well will the D7000. Ive just bought a new toy, a Fuji X100T and a wide converter lens, Love how it deals with low light, seems like the perfect urbex tool. Hopefully going to give it an urbex workout soon.23671796603_624bdc9e1a_z.jpg.64021946cc4

Another one for Canon over here, 80D with a Sigma 17-50 F2.8 / EF-S 10-18 / EF 50 Prime 1.8.  And im thoroughly enjoying it! :D Recent upgrade from Canon's EOS M + M3 .. Mirrorless jobbies which were fantastic little camera's paired with the EF-M 11-22 Len's... Oh and a Canon EOS 100F for the odd day i feel like shooting film.